Friday, March 5, 2010

Adding numbers in Microsoft Excel with a formula

Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Excel 2007 are being used in this tip

I don't know how many times I thought, "I wish I could add up numbers on a spreadsheet without having to manually add the numbers with a calculator".  Well, here is a way to do that with a formula in Microsoft Excel.  First you need to start a new Excel spreadsheet by opening up the program.  I started with this:


I started with a column named Numbers and put down some numbers below it.  In order to use a formula in Excel, you need to put the equals (=) sign before the formula.  This formula is: =SUM(A2:A8).  SUM tells Excel to add up the numbers.  A2:A8 is referring to a range of cells in the spreadsheet.  It is going to look at A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, and A8 (or A2 through A8).  It would look like this:


As you can see, the formula added up the numbers without having to use a calculator.  If you changed any of the numbers above the total, then the total would change automatically.  For example, if you changed A2 to 7, then the total would be 235. 

Another formula that can be used is the SUMIF formula.  This will add the numbers based on certain criteria.  Here is an example:


The formula ends up being =SUMIF(B2:B8,"Odd",A2:A8)B2:B8 means to look at cells B2 through B8.  "Odd" is what I am looking for in the range specified.  A2:A8 is the range of the cells that will be added together. I have put Even and Odd in the second column.  This formula will add all of the numbers for cells A2 through A8 that have the word "Odd" in column B.  The Even total would look similar except you would change the word "Odd" in the formula to the word "Even".  The SUMIF formula is a good formula to use if you want to know the sum of numbers for a certain criteria.

I hope you have fun with this tip and I will write another great tip tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great step-by-step information on adding cells in Excel. I think this is one of the first things people want to be able to do in a spreadsheet. We'd love it if you would come join the conversation and community over at the Office Page on Facebook, www.facebook.com/office.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Office Outreach

Alex said...

This week I have seen a lot of excel files. Some of them were corrupted and I didn't know what to do then. I was upset. But enexpectedly my brother called me up and advised - recover Excel file xlsx. It helped me for seconds and without money as I kepy in mind. I have been using for short time,but it likes me.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure there is a way to just do your check book. HELP!!!!!

Post a Comment